Salt to Taste - designers can give better guidance than that
- How does one decide how much of salt is good taste ?
- Can a recipe designer guide better ?
because salty taste depends on :
1. Salt sensitivity of individual tongueThis is a challenge for a designer of experiences. Some design parameters have dynamic impact on the final experience.
2. What you eat along (and its saltiness) is dynamic
3. What you eat before and after also matters
The following might help :
- Offer multiple versions of design (like shampoo designers do)
- Hire tasters with same sensitivity as end users (or designer him/herself becomes such a taster).
- Allow some variations in dynamic design parameter (Salt) at the end user level.
- Guide end user (by giving samples with corresponding salt levels) so that end user can take an average design to great levels on his/her own.
Designing for great experience requires one to understand the user at much deeper level.